Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Vortioxetine
Last updated on 24/03/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Vortioxetine
CHINESE NAME: 沃替西汀 / 伏硫西汀
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Brintellix
DRUG CLASS: Antidepressant, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
USED FOR: Major depression
What is Vortioxetine for?
Vortioxetine belongs to a class of medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), like Citalopram. SSRIs are antidepressants which work by allowing a type of chemicals, serotonin, to stay longer in the brain in order to boost mood. Therefore, Vortioxetine can be used to treat depression.
How to use it?
Vortioxetine is available as tablets to be taken by mouth. The usual adult dose is 5-10 mg daily. Your doctor may increase the dose based on your response by 5-10 mg at least every 1 week. The maximum daily dose is 20 mg daily.
What are the side effects of Vortioxetine?
Side effects of Vortioxetine include anxiety, abnormal appetite,insomnia, weakness, impaired concentration, confusion, constipation, nausea, diarrhoea, dizziness, gastrointestinal discomfort, bleeding, headache, sexual dysfunction, vomiting, and weight changes.
Who should not take Vortioxetine?
– People taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors and those who have taken them in the past 14 days
– People allergic to Vortioxetine or any formulation component
– It often takes a few weeks to see noticeable improvement in your symptoms.
– Do not stop taking Vortioxetine abruptly since withdrawal syndrome, such as headache and muscle tension, can occur.
– Antidepressants can induce suicidal thoughts and behaviours in children, adolescents and young adults. Family members and caregivers should monitor closely any changes in their behaviours.
Common dosing schedule:
You can take Vortioxetine with or without food.
Do not drink alcohol as it may worsen your mood or anxiety.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Vortioxetine may interact with:
– Monoamine oxidase inhibitors, e.g. Selegiline, Rasagiline
– Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Diclofenac, Ibuprofen
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Vortioxetine in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Vortioxetine is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at http://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Vortioxetine in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.