Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Procaterol
Last updated on 15/07/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Procaterol
CHINESE NAME: 丙卡特羅
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Meptin, Pocato, Osco Pocato
DRUG CLASS: Bronchodilators
SUB CLASS: Long-acting beta-2 agonists
USED FOR: Asthma, Bronchochitis, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 25 mcg, 50 mcg (tablets)
– 25 mcg (capsules)
– 5 mcg/ml (syrups)
What is Procaterol for?
Procaterol belongs to a class of medications called long-acting beta-2 agonists. It can relax the smooth muscle of the airways to treat asthma, bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
How to use it?
In Hong Kong, Procaterol is taken orally as tablets, capsules and syrup. It does not differ much whether it is taken with or without food. To treat asthma in the maintenance stage, it is used with inhaled corticosteroids.
Asthma, Bronchitis, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Adult and elderly
50 mcg once daily at bedtime or twice daily.
Child not less than 6 years of age
25 mcg once daily at bedtime or twice daily.
What are the side effects of Procaterol?
Who should not take Procaterol?
– People allergic to Procaterol or any component of the formulation.
– Patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
– Stop smoking while you are on this medication.
– For asthma patients, know what triggers your asthma and avoid them.
– Regular exercise at a moderate intensity.
– Do not use Procaterol for relief of acute bronchospasm.
Common dosing schedule:
Oral Procaterol is taken once daily at bedtime or twice daily, preferably in the morning and before bedtime.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Procaterol may interact with:
– Non-selective and beta-1 selective beta-blockers, e.g. Acebutolol, Atenolol, Metoprolol
– Loop diuretics, e.g. Bumetanide, Furosemide, Torsemide
– Monoamine oxidase inhibitors, e.g. Rasagiline, Selegiline, Phenelzine
– Theophylline derivatives, e.g. Theophylline, Diprophylline, Caffeine
– Tricyclic antidepressants, e.g. Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, Amoxapine
Procaterol may interact with many other medications. Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Procaterol in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Procaterol is a medicine under supervised sales and can be purchased under the supervision of a pharmacist from any pharmacies in Hong Kong. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Procaterol in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.