Last updated on June 25, 2021.
Cancer is the number one cause of death in Hong Kong, and there is a growing need for specialised doctors (oncologists). Healthy Matters brings you a practical and expert guide to finding oncologists in Hong Kong, including costs and insurance cover.
Methodology: This guide does not aim to be exhaustive. It is informative only and based on our independent research. No practitioner or clinic paid any fees or rendered any services in exchange of inclusion in this article.
What is an Oncologist?
An oncologist is a doctor who treats and gives medical care to patients with cancer. Oncologists conduct necessary exams, tests, and diagnosis, inform patients about the different types of cancers, treatments and their implications, treat patients and help them manage side effects.
Types of Oncologists
There are generally four major types of oncologists in Hong Kong:
- Clinical oncologist: the most common type of oncologist in Hong Kong. Clinical oncologists use a balance of radiotherapy and chemotherapy to treat patients without surgery.
- Medical oncologist: mainly uses non-radiological treatments for cancer, such as chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapy.
- Gynecologic Oncologist: treats gynecologic cancer such as uterine, ovarian and cervical cancer.
- Haematologist-Oncologist: diagnoses and treats blood cancer such as leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma.
Other health professionals working with Oncologists
A cancer care team usually consists of the following people:
- Pathologist: reads and examine laboratory tests.
- Diagnostic radiologist: doctor who specialises in diagnosing and treating cancer using medical imaging techniques such as MRI.
- Oncology nurse: nurses that care for people who are diagnosed with cancer.
- Oncology social worker: social worker focusing on helping patients manage the stress that comes with cancer.
What to know about Oncologists in Hong Kong
There are more than 200 registered oncologists in Hong Kong, working both in the private and public sectors. Here is the official list of registered oncologists in Hong Kong according to their specialities from the Medical Council here.
- Gynaecological Oncology (4)
- Medical Oncology (41)
- Clinical Oncology (165)
- Haematology & Haematological Oncology (57)
According to the Hospital Authority, it takes 9 years to be fully registered as a clinical oncologist. The training is separated into 3 parts, basic specialist training of 4 years, 3 years of full-time training in an accredited oncology training centre, and another 2 years of higher specialist training.
How much does it cost to see an Oncologist in Hong Kong?
PRIVATE SECTOR – Private Market Rates
In Hong Kong and as is the case with other doctors, the cost of a consultation with an oncologist varies greatly, depending on the location and facilities needed. Our research shows that consultations in the private sector range from $800 to $2,500 for the initial consultation.
PUBLIC SECTOR – HA fees and charges
For eligible HKID-holders, a day procedure and treatment cost $96 per attendance
For non-eligible people, the price of a day procedure and treatment at a public oncologist clinic is $895 per attendance.
Beware of waiting times which can be very long in the public sector.
Please enquire at your clinic of choice for the specific costs.
* All amounts are in HKD and were last updated on May 2020. No responsibility is accepted for any inaccuracies, errors, or omissions. It is always best to call ahead to make sure the information is still up-to-date.
List of Oncologists in Hong Kong
To make it easier for you, here is a list of Hong Kong oncology clinics and oncologists:
Oncologist in the Public Sector:
Here is the list of public centers providing Oncologist services throughout Hong Kong.
Oncologists in the Private Sector:
Oncologists on Hong Kong Island:
Address: 9 Chak Cheung Street, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Phone: 3946 6888
Dr. Ka Leung CHENG, Danny
Address: Room 1311, Central Building, 1-3 Pedder Street, Central, Hong Kong
Phone: 2157 1111
Oncologists in Kowloon:
Oncologists in the New Territories:
Address: 199 Tsuen King Circuit, Tsuen Wan, N.T.
Phone: 2275 6688
Does insurance cover consultations and treatments with Oncologists in Hong Kong?
According to AD MediLink, oncologists consultations are reimbursed under doctor specialist fees. Generally, high-end medical plans will reimburse oncologist consultation and surgical fees in full without any sub-limit whereas local plans usually have surgical and doctor specialist limits. If you have any health insurance questions, contact an expert at AD MediLink at [email protected].