Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Dulaglutide
Last updated on 08/07/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Dulaglutide
CHINESE NAME: 度拉糖肽
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Trulicity 易週糖
DRUG CLASS: Antidiabetic drugs
SUB CLASS: Glucagon-like Peptide-1 Agonists
USED FOR: Type 2 diabetes
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 0.75mg, 1.5mg (pre-filled pen)
What is Dulaglutide for?
Dulaglutide belongs to a class of medication called glucagon-like peptide-1 agonists. It works by mimicking a hormone to make the pancreas produce more insulin and less glucagon to control blood sugar level. It is used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus.
How to use it?
Dulaglutide is administered via subcutaneous injection by pre-filled pens. The usual initial dose is 0.75 mg subcutaneously once weekly. Dose can be increased to 1.5 mg once weekly for additional glycemic control after 4-8 weeks. If additional glycemic control is needed, you may further increase to 3 mg once weekly after at least 4 weeks on the 1.5 mg weekly dose and then to a maximum of 4.5 mg once weekly after at least 4 weeks on the 3 mg weekly dose.
What are the side effects of Dulaglutide?
Common side effects of Dulaglutide include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and decreased appetite.
Who should not take Dulaglutide?
– People who are allergic to Dulaglutide or any component of the formulation
– Patients with Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN2), or history of or family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC)
– Non-drug management, including diet and exercise, also plays an important role in controlling diabetes.
– If you use insulin in addition to Dulaglutide, do not mix them into the same syringe. You may give the shots in the same area (including your stomach), but do not give the shots right next to each other.
– Change (rotate) your injection site with each weekly injection. Do not use the same site for each injection.
– Do not share pens between patients.
– Store your new, unused medicine pen in its original carton in the refrigerator. You may store the opened medicine pen in the refrigerator or at room temperature for 14 days.
Common dosing schedule:
Exenatide can be injected subcutaneously in the abdomen, thigh or upper arm. You may administer at any time of day, independently of meals.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Dulaglutide in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Dulaglutide is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Dulaglutide in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.