Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Revatio
Last updated on 14/07/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Sildenafil
CHINESE NAME: 瑞肺得
DRUG CLASS: Antihypertensives, Vasodilators
SUB CLASS: Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors
USED FOR: Pulmonary arterial hypertension
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 20 mg (tablets)
What is Revatio?
Revatio is a brand of product used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (high blood pressure in the lungs). It contains Sildenafil, which belongs to a class of medications called phosphodiesterase inhibitors. Revatio works by dilating blood vessels in the lungs to allow blood to flow easily, thus reducing blood pressure.
How to use it?
Revatio can be taken by mouth, with or without food.
Pulmonary arterial hypertension
5 mg or 20 mg three times daily.
Child over 1 year
Body weight >20 kg: 20 mg three times daily.
Body weight <20 kg: 10 mg three times daily.
What are the side effects of Revatio?
Common side effects of Revatio include anaemia, anxiety, diarrhoea, dizziness, fluid retention, gastrointestinal discomfort, headache, insomnia and tremor.
Who should not take Revatio?
– People allergic to Revatio or any component of the formulation.
– Patients who are currently taking nitrates regularly or as emergency medication
– Patients who recently had myocardial infarction or stroke
– Patients with sickle cell anaemia
– This medication can make you dizzy. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how you respond to Revatio.
– Report to your doctor immediately if you experience sudden visual or hearing loss.
– Seek medical assistance in case of prolonged erection (over 4 hours).
– Do not confuse Viagra with Revatio, which also contains Sildenafil but indicated for erectile dysfunction.
Common dosing schedule:
Take Revatio three times daily.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Revatio may interact with:
– Nitrates, e.g. Nitroglycerin, Nitric oxide, Isosorbide Mononitrate and Dinitrate
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Revatio in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Revatio is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Revatio in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.