Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Orphenadrine citrate
Last updated on 14/07/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Orphenadrine citrate
CHINESE NAME: 檸檬酸鄰甲苯海明
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Tensionlex
DRUG CLASS: Muscle relaxants
SUB CLASS: Anticholinergics
USED FOR: Muscle spasms
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 100mg (tablets)
What is Orphenadrine citrate for?
Orphenadrine citrate belongs to a class of medications called anticholinergics. It acts on the nervous system to release muscle, so it is used to treat muscle spasms associated with acute musculoskeletal pain.
How to use it?
Orphenadrine citrate is taken orally as tablets. The usual dose is 100 mg twice daily in morning and evening.
What are the side effects of Orphenadrine citrate?
Common side effects of Orphenadrine citrate include dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, nausea, and vomiting.
Who should not take Orphenadrine citrate?
– People who are allergic to Orphenadrine citrate or any component of the formulation
– Patients with glaucoma, myasthenia gravis, or cardiospasm
– Patients with gastrointestinal obstruction, or stenosing peptic ulcer
– Patients with prostatic hypertrophy, or bladder neck obstruction
– Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how you respond to Orphenadrine citrate.
– Avoid drinking alcohol during the treatment.
– Do not stop taking Orphenadrine citrate suddenly as it can cause withdrawal symptoms.
Common dosing schedule:
Orphenadrine citrate can be taken with or without food.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Orphenadrine citrate may interact with:
– Benzodiazepines, e.g. Diazepam, Clonazepam
– Anticholinergics, e.g. Ipratropium, Tiotropium
– Potassium, e.g. Potassium chloride, Potassium citrate
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Orphenadrine citrate in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Orphenadrine citrate is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Orphenadrine citrate in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.