Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Midazolam
Last updated on 19/03/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Midazolam
CHINESE NAME: 咪達唑侖（藍精靈）
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Dormicum
DRUG CLASS: Benzodiazepine
USED FOR: Seizures, sedations before procedures, insomnia
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 1mg/ml, 5mg/ml, 5mg/5ml, 15mg/3ml (injections)
– 15mg (tablets)
What is Midazolam for?
Midazolam belongs to a class of medications called benzodiazepines just like Alprazolam. It can be used to treat seizures, to provide anaesthesia and for the short-term management of insomnia.
How to use it?
Midazolam is given by mouth and by injection.
If you are taking Midazolam for insomnia, you should take 7.5-15 mg orally just before going to bed. Midazolam should not be taken for more than 14 days for treatment of insomnia.
You may be given Midazolam to treat epilepsy or seizures, or as sedation and anesthesia while in hospital.
What are the side effects of Midazolam?
Common side effects of Midazolam include decreased alertness, dizziness and drowsiness. Gait and coordination problems (ataxia) and confusion are more commonly seen in elderly; whereas respiratory depression may occur with high doses of Midazolam when combined with opioid medications.
Who should not take Midazolam?
– People with severe respiratory insufficiency, especially if you are using opioids, since there will be an increased risk of death due to respiratory depression caused by Midazolam
– Anyone with a history of substance abuse since there is a risk of abuse with benzodiazepines
– Avoid using opioids or alcohol with Benzodiazepines.
– Patients should avoid abrupt discontinuation of the drug to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Discuss how to stop Midazolam safely with your doctor or pharmacist.
– Avoid activities requiring mental alertness or coordination such as driving until you know how you respond to Midazolam.
– Many people who take Midazolam on a regular basis will become dependent on the drug.
Common dosing schedule:
You should take Midazolam on an empty stomach.
Do not take with grapefruit juice.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Midazolam in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Midazolam is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Midazolam in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.