Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Marvelon
Last updated on 04/08/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Desogestrel + Ethinyl Estradiol
CHINESE NAME: 黛麗安
DRUG CLASS: Contraceptives
SUB CLASS: Progestins, Oestrogens
USED FOR: Contraception
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS: 150mcg/30mcg (tablets)
What is Marvelon for?
Marvelon is a brand of oral contraceptives used to prevent pregnancy. It contains Desogestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol, which mimics progesterone and oestrogen (female hormones in our bodies). Marvelon interferes with normal menstrual cycle, hence prevents maturation of an egg, ovulation and attachment of fertilized eggs in the uterus lining.
How to use it?
Dian-35 is a tablet which may be taken with or without food. Take one tablet daily for 21 days, followed by a tablet-free interval of 7 days. Swallow it whole and do not crush, chew, or break the tablet.
What are the side effects of Marvelon?
Common side effects of Marvelon include headache, menstrual cycle irregularities, weight gain, change in appetite, stomach cramps, mood swings, nervousness, painful/tender breast, drowsiness and gastrointestinal discomfort.
Who should not take Marvelon?
– People allergic to any component of the formulation.
– Patients with active or a history of thromboembolic disorders, such as deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
– Patients with active or recent cardiac events or arterial diseases, such as angina, myocardial infarction or cerebrovascular disease.
– Women with undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
– Patients with breast cancer and people with a past history of breast cancer.
– Patients who are currently taking medications for Hepatitis C.
– This medication may cause dizziness or severe headache. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how you respond to Progesterone.
– Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you experience vaginal bleeding, severe mood changes, depression or symptoms of water retention, such as oedema.
– Avoid smoking use while taking this medication.
– Oral contraceptives are an effective method of birth control, however they do not prevent the transmission of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.
Common dosing schedule:
Marvelon is taken once daily. Try to take it at the same time each day.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Marvelon may interact with:
– Medications for Hepatitis C, e.g. Ombitasvir, Paritaprevir, Ritonavir
– Anticonvulsants, e.g. Phenobarbital, Phenytoin, Sodium Valproate, Carbamazepine
– St. John’s Wort
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Marvelon in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Marvelon is an over-the-counter medicine and can be purchased without a prescription from any retail outlet in Hong Kong. This includes grocery stores, convenience stores, medicine shops, and pharmacies. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Marvelon in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.