Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Lorazepam
Last updated on 19/03/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Lorazepam
CHINESE NAME: 氯拉西泮
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Ativan, Lorans, Silence 悠然
DRUG CLASS: Benzodiazepine
USED FOR: Seizures, anxiety disorder, insomnia associated with anxiety, acute panic attacks
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS: 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg (tablets)
What is Lorazepam for?
Lorazepam belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines, which are used for the acute short-term treatment of anxiety. Your doctor or dentist may prescribe Lorazepam to treat your anxiety including anxiety-induced insomnia, and provide light sedation prior to a medical or dental procedure. Benzodiazepines are also used to manage symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
How to use it?
Lorazepam can be taken by mouth as tablets. Limit to the lowest effective dose when used in the elderly.
If you are using it to treat anxiety, you should take 0.5-4 mg daily in divided doses.
If you are using it to treat insomnia induced by anxiety, you should take 0.5-2 mg at bedtime.
What are the side effects of Lorazepam?
Common side effects of Lorazepam include decreased alertness, dizziness and drowsiness. Gait and coordination problems (ataxia) and confusion are more commonly seen in elderly; whereas respiratory depression may occur with high doses of Lorazepam, when combined with opioid medications.
Who should not take Lorazepam?
– Severe respiratory insufficiency, especially if you are using opioids, since there will be an increased risk of death due to respiratory depression caused by Lorazepam
– Anyone with a history of substance abuse since there is a risk of abuse with benzodiazepines
– Avoid using opioids or alcohol with Benzodiazepines.
– Patients should avoid abrupt discontinuation of the drug to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Discuss how to stop Lorazepam safely with your doctor or pharmacist.
– Only take Lorazepam for insomnia for short term (≤4 to 8 weeks).
– Avoid activities requiring mental alertness or coordination such as driving until you know how you respond to Lorazepam.
– Many people who take Lorazepam on a regular basis will become dependent on the drug.
Common dosing schedule:
You can take Lorazepam with or without food.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Lorazepam may interact:
– Atypical antipsychotics, e.g. Clozapine, Olanzapine
– Central nervous system depressants, e.g. Buprenorphine, Methadone
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Lorazepam in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Lorazepam is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Lorazepam in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.