Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Krill Oil
Last updated on 02/08/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Krill Oil
CHINESE NAME: 磷蝦油
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: BioKrill Omega 3 至尊磷蝦油奧米加3配方
DRUG CLASS: Supplements
SUB CLASS: Dietary Supplements
USED FOR: Promote cardiovascular health, Dry eyes
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
What is Krill Oil for?
Krill Oil is an oil extracted from a tiny, shrimp-like animal called krills. In Norwegian, the word ‘krill’ means ‘whale food’. Similar to fish oil, Krill Oil is rich in fatty acids, such as omega-3 fatty acids and phospholipid-derived fatty acids. It is used to improve symptoms of dry eyes. It is also claimed to improve cardiovascular health by lowering blood lipids, lowering blood pressure and preventing blood clot formation, but there is limited scientific evidence to support these claims.
How to use it?
Krill Oil is available in capsules for oral use. It may be taken with or without food. For cardiovascular health, Krill Oil capsules are usually taken three times daily. Please refer to the product insert for specific directions of use.
What are the side effects of Krill Oil?
Common side effects of Krill oil include gastrointestinal upset, poor appetite, diarrhoea and heartburn.
Who should not take Krill Oil?
– People allergic to Krill Oil or any component of the formulation
– People allergic to seafood or omega-3 containing products
– Patients with bleeding disorders
– Patients who will undergo surgery in 14 days and patients who have had surgery in the past 14 days
– Pregnant or breastfeeding women
– Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using Krill Oil, especially if you have cardiovascular problems or chronic diseases.
– Krill Oil cannot replace any medications. If you are taking any medications, you should continue to take them even if you are taking Krill Oil.
Common dosing schedule:
Please refer to specific product instructions.
Some common medications Krill Oil may interact with:
– Anticoagulants, e.g. Warfarin, Heparin, Rivaroxaban
– Antiplatelets, e.g. Aspirin, Clopidogrel, Ticagrelor
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Krill Oil in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Krill Oil is an over-the-counter medicine and can be purchased without a prescription from any retail outlet in Hong Kong. This includes grocery stores, convenience stores, medicine shops, and pharmacies. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Krill Oil in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.