Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Dronedarone
Last updated on 06/07/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Dronedarone
CHINESE NAME: 決奈達隆
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Multaq 心韻定
DRUG CLASS: Antiarrhythmics (Class III)
SUB CLASS: Benzofurans
USED FOR: Atrial fibrillation
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 400mg (tablets)
What is Dronedarone for?
Dronedarone, which is classified as a Class III antiarrhythmic drug, belongs to a class of medication called benzofurans. It inhibits multiple electrical channels in the cells to control heart rate and rhythm. Therefore, it is indicated for atrial fibrillation.
How to use it?
Dronedarone can only be taken orally as tablets. The recommended dose for atrial fibrillation is 400 mg orally twice daily with morning and evening meals.
What are the side effects of Dronedarone?
Common side effects of Dronedarone include abdominal pain, asthenia, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and bradycardia.
Who should not take Dronedarone?
– People who are allergic to Dronedarone or any component of the formulation
– Pregnant women
– Patients with severe liver or cardiovascular problems (e.g. permanent atrial fibrillation, symptomatic heart failure)
– Report any signs or symptoms of unwell regarding your heart, liver and lung.
– There are multiple significant drug-drug interactions for this drug. Consult healthcare professionals prior to new drug use, including over-the-counter and herbal medicine.
Common dosing schedule:
Administer with morning and evening meal
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Dronedarone may interact with:
– Antibiotics, e.g. Clarithromycin, Erythromycin
– Antifungals, e.g. Itraconazole, Ketoconazole
– Class I & III antiarrhythmics, e.g. Flecainide, Amiodarone
– Tricyclic antidepressants, e.g. Imipramine, Amitriptyline
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Dronedarone in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Dronedarone is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Dronedarone in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.