Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Codeine phosphate
Last updated on 25/07/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Codeine phosphate
CHINESE NAME: 磷酸可待因
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: /
DRUG CLASS: Antitussives
SUB CLASS: Opioid analgesics
USED FOR: Dry cough, Mild to moderate pain, Acute diarrhoea
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 30mg (tablets)
– 12.5mg/5ml, 23.5mg/5ml, 25mg/5ml (syrup)
What is Codeine phosphate for?
Codeine phosphate belongs to a class of medications called opioid analgesics, which suppress the signal in the brain which is responsible for coughing and pain. Codeine phosphate alone is used for dry cough, acute diarrhoea, and mild-to-moderate pain. It can also be used as part of other products for other indications.
How to use it?
Codeine phosphate can be taken orally as tablet or syrup.
For dry cough (syrup):
15-30 mg 3-4 times daily.
For acute diarrhea (syrup):
15-60 mg 3-4 times daily.
For mild to moderate pain (tablet):
30-60 mg every 4 hours as needed, up to a maximum dose of 360 mg/day.
Children aged 12-18 years:
30-60 mg every 6 hours as needed, up to a maximum dose of 240 mg/day.
What are the side effects of Codeine phosphate?
Common side effects of Codeine phosphate include drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, constipation and vomiting.
Who should not take Codeine phosphate?
– People who are allergic to Codeine or any component of the formulation
– Children < 12 years of age when used for pain management and diarrhoea, and children < 18 years of age when used for dry cough
– Pregnant and breastfeeding women
– Patients with liver failure or paralytic ileus
– Elderly patients should be cautious in use
– Avoid driving and operating machinery after taking codeine as it may cause drowsiness.
– Do not use it in the long term because it can cause dependence and addiction.
– Codeine is not indicated for productive cough (cough with sputum) as it would prevent you from coughing out the sputum.
– Avoid alcohol while taking this medication.
Common dosing schedule:
Codeine phosphate can be taken with or without food.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Codeine phosphate may interact with:
– Opioid analgesics, e.g. Tramadol, Morphine
– Benzodiazepines, e.g. Diazepam, Lorazepam
– Antihistamine, e.g. Cimetidine, Diphenhydramine
– Dopamine antagonists, e.g. Domperidone, Metoclopramide
– Monoamine oxidase inhibitors, e.g. Selegiline, Rasagiline
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Codeine phosphate in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Codeine phosphate is a medicine under supervised sales and can be purchased under the supervision of a pharmacist from any pharmacies in Hong Kong. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Codeine phosphate in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.