Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Clobetasone Butyrate
Last updated on 24/03/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Clobetasone Butyrate
CHINESE NAME: 氯倍他松
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Eumovate 悠美膚, Pharmaniaga Eudaderm, U-Closone
DRUG CLASS: Corticosteroid / glucocorticoid
USED FOR: Eczemas, inflammatory skin conditions
What is Clobetasone Butyrate for?
Betamethasone belongs to a class of medications called glucocorticoids or steroid hormones. Unlike other steroids, Clobetasone Butyrate is only used topically onto the skin. It can be used to treat all kinds of inflammatory skin diseases, including eczema, contact or irritant contact dermatitis.
How to use it?
Clobetasone Butyrate is available as cream and ointment in Hong Kong. Apply sparingly to the affected area 1-2 times a day. Do not use on broken or inflamed skin.
What are the side effects of Clobetasone Butyrate?
When used as a cream or ointment, minimise the period of time you use Clobetasone Butyrate as long-term use can cause skin thinning.
Who should not take Clobetasone Butyrate?
– People who are allergic to Clobetasone Butyrate or any component of the formulation
– People with viral, fungal or bacterial infections, including herpes simplex and varicella
– People with rosacea or psoriasis
– Use the smallest amount of cream or ointment (especially on the face) for the shortest period of time.
– Apply thinly onto the affected areas. Usually one fingertip unit (from the very end of the finger to the first crease in the finger) of topical steroid (the tube is assumed to have a 5 mm nozzle) is enough for a skin area twice the size of an adult’s hand (the flat side) with all fingers together.
– Avoid skin occlusion as it can promote absorption into the body.
– Wash hands before and after application.
– After long-term use of this drug, contact your doctor/pharmacist if you notice fatigue, weight gain, or thinning of skin that bruises easily.
Common dosing schedule:
Apply Clobetasone Butyrate no more than 2 times every day.
Do not use more than 15 g per week.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Clobetasone Butyrate may interact with:
Topical steroids usually do not have interactions with other medications.
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Clobetasone Butyrate in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Clobetasone Butyrate is a pharmacy only medicine which can be purchased without a prescription by speaking with a pharmacist in a pharmacy. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at http://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Clobetasone Butyrate in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.