Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Clobazam
Last updated on 24/03/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Clobazam
CHINESE NAME: 氯巴占
BRAND NAME(S) IN HONG KONG: Frisium
DRUG CLASS: Anticonvulsant; Benzodiazepine
USED FOR: Epilepsy, anxiety
What is Clobazam for?
Clobazam belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. It is used in the short-term treatment of anxiety. Clobazam is also used to treat epilepsy.
How to use it?
Clobazam is available as oral tablets in Hong Kong.
For adjunct in epilepsy
20-30 mg daily. Maximum dose is 60 mg daily.
Child 6-17 years
The initial dose is 5 mg, and the maintenance dose is 0.3-1 mg/kg daily. Maximum dose is 60 mg daily.
For short-term management of anxiety
20-30 mg daily to be taken in separate doses. Maximum dose is 60 mg daily.
Elderly / debilitated patients
Take 10-20 mg daily.
What are the side effects of Clobazam?
Common side effects of Clobazam include decreased alertness, dizziness and drowsiness. Gait and coordination problems (ataxia) and confusion are more commonly seen in elderly; whereas respiratory depression may occur with high doses of Clobazam when combined with opioid medications.
Who should not take Clobazam?
– People with an allergy to Clobazam or any formulation component
– People with sleep apnea
– People with severe respiratory insufficiency, especially if you are using opioids, since there will be an increased risk of death due to respiratory depression caused by Clobazam
– Avoid using opioids or alcohol with Benzodiazepines.
– Patients should avoid abrupt discontinuation of the drug to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Discuss how to stop Clobazam safely with your doctor or pharmacist.
– Avoid activities requiring mental alertness or coordination such as driving until you know how you respond to Clobazam.
– Many people who take Clobazam on a regular basis will become dependent on the drug.
– Stop taking Clobazam and seek medical attention straight away if you develop skin reactions, such as burning sensation, rash or fluid-filled lesion.
Common dosing schedule:
You can take Clobazam with or without food.
Take Clobazam at bedtime.
Avoid alcohol while you are on Clobazam.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Clobazam may interact with:
– Atypical antipsychotics, e.g. Clozapine, Olanzapine
– CNS depressants, e.g. Buprenorphine
– Hormonal contraceptives
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Clobazam in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Clobazam is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at http://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Clobazam in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.