Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Casodex
Last updated on 03/12/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Bicalutamide
CHINESE NAME: 康士得
DRUG CLASS: Antiandrogens, Antineoplastics
SUB CLASS: Hormone antagonists
USED FOR: Treatment of prostate cancer
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 50mg, 150mg (tablets)
What is Casodex for?
Casodex is a brand medication that contains Bicalutamide, which belongs to a class of medications called hormone antagonists. It works by inhibiting a hormone in the body to stop the growth and spread of prostate cancer cells. It is used for the treatment of metastatic (stage D2) prostate cancer, in combination with a GnRH analogue.
How to use it?
Casodex is available as tablets. The usual dose is 50 mg once daily in combination with a GnRH analogue, such as Goserelin. The dose may go to 150 mg depending on the severity as instructed by the doctor.
What are the side effects of Casodex?
Who should not take Casodex?
– Anyone who is allergic to any component of Casodex
– Female patients
– Use effective birth control to protect your female partner from pregnancy while you take this drug and for 130 days after your last dose.
– Do not drive or operate machinery until you know the effect of the medicine.
– If you have diabetes, inform your doctor before initiating treatment.
– You may get sunburned more easily. Use sunscreen and wear clothing that protects you from the sun.
– This drug may cause serious liver problems. Report any symptoms immediately such as fatigue, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, itching, bruising, and yellow skin or eyes.
Common dosing schedule:
Bicalutamide should be taken at the same time each day.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Some common medications Casodex may interact with:
– Lipid-regulating drugs, e.g. Simvastatin, Lovastatin, Atorvastatin
– Benzodiazepines, e.g. Alprazolam, Midazolam
– Antifungals, e.g. Itraconazole, Ketoconazole
– Macrolide antibiotics, e.g. Clarithromycin, Erythromycin
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Casodex in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Casodex is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Casodex in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.