Medicines & Supplements A to Z > Biktarvy
Last updated on 12/07/2021.
GENERIC NAME: Tenofovir Alafenamide + Emtricitabine + Bictegravir
CHINESE NAME: 吉他韋
DRUG CLASS: Antiretrovirals
SUB CLASS: Integrase inhibitors, Nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, Nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors
USED FOR: HIV infection
AVAILABLE DOSAGE FORMS:
– 50mg/200mg/25mg (tablets)
What is Biktarvy?
Biktarvy is a brand of product used to treat HIV infection. It contains Bictegravir, Emtricitabine and Tenolovir Alafenamide, which are medications that prevent human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from multiplying in your body. Biktarvy is used for the treatment of HIV infection. HIV is the virus that can cause acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Biktarvy is not a cure for HIV infection or AIDS, however, it reduces the amount of HIV in your body so that your immune system works better.
How to use it?
Biktarvy is a tablet which may be taken with or without food. For the treatment of HIV, take one tablet by mouth daily. Swallow it whole and do not crush, chew, or break the tablet.
What are the side effects of Biktarvy?
Common side effects of Biktarvy include depression, abnormal dreams, headache, dizziness, diarrhoea, nausea and fatigue.
Who should not take Biktarvy?
– People allergic to any component of the formulation
– Patients who are currently taking Rifampicin or St. John’s Wort
– This medication can make you dizzy. Avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how you respond to Biktarvy.
– Continue to take all HIV medications exactly as prescribed by your doctor to limit the risk of transferring HIV to others.
– Use an effective barrier method, such as condoms or dental dams, during sexual activity to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV.
– Do not share personal items that may have contacted blood or other body fluids, such as needles/syringes, toothbrushes and razors.
Common dosing schedule:
Biktarvy is taken once daily. Try to take it at the same time each day.
This schedule is for reference only, adjustments may be made according to individual needs.
Please notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking the above medication, dosage adjustments might be needed.
Where to buy Biktarvy in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, Biktarvy is a prescription only medicine, and requires a prescription from a doctor to be purchased in a pharmacy. It can also be obtained from doctors. To find a pharmacy near you, refer to the list of pharmacies (“Authorized Sellers of Poisons”) from the Hong Kong Department of Health.
For more information about drug names and ingredients, you can visit Hong Kong’s Drug Office at https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk
Need more information?
For detailed information about the use of Biktarvy in children, pregnancy and breastfeeding, and for questions about drug interactions, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
Disclaimer: our goal is to provide you with the most relevant drug information and common dosage for Hong Kong. This information does not constitute medical advice. For specific treatment recommendations and advice, always discuss with your doctor or pharmacist, and follow the instructions included with your specific medicine.