Did you know that complementary medicines can help you manage common pregnancy ailments and discomfort such as back pain, morning sickness and heartburn? And that complementary medicines can also help moms-to-be improve their overall physical and emotional wellbeing? Learn about the benefits of chiropractic, osteopathy and naturopathy during pregnancy as we share exclusive excerpts from Healthy Matters’ The Hong Kong Maternity & Baby Book, the first ever comprehensive, independent guide to maternity in Hong Kong, from pre-pregnancy to baby’s first year.
Three ways chiropractic care can you help with during pregnancy
1. Eliminating aches and pains. Up to 70% of women experience back pain during pregnancy.
2. Reducing labor time by up to 24% for first-time mothers and 39% for experienced mothers. Regular treatments of the spine and pelvis throughout pregnancy may contribute to a more straightforward labor, with less pain and trauma for mother and child.
3. Helping to prevent breech presentation by ensuring the correct alignment of your pelvis and annular ligaments allowing optimum room for your baby to grow and move.
Three ways osteopathic care can you help with during pregnancy
1. Helping to relieve back pain and pelvic instability. Postural changes can put the pelvis joints and spine under a lot of strain. Because of this, lower back pain is the most common complaint during pregnancy.
2. Easing heartburn, breathing difficulties and rib pain. Structural changes during later stages of pregnancy expand the lower ribs and stretch the diaphragm muscle. Soft tissue techniques on the rib cage and diaphragm can ease the heartburn and breathing difficulties most women experience.
3. Preparing for an easy birth. Osteopathic treatment helps ensure good structural mobility of the pelvic joints and lumbar spine. Through safe and gentle techniques, tensions in the joints and soft tissues are freed, paving the way for an optimal opening of the birth canal, maximizing the chance of a smooth and natural delivery.
How naturopathic care can help you during pregnancy
Each trimester, you undergo hormonal and psychological changes. Fortunately, an experienced naturopath can support the body’s innate wisdom in relieving common conditions, such as:
Reflux and heartburn
Urinary Tract Infections; candida and thrush
Insomnia and fatigue
Anxiety and depression
Naturopaths first aim to treat these conditions with safe, natural remedies, such as carefully prescribed herbal formulas, homeopathy, targeted nutrition and pure, high quality supplements. During pregnancy, being on the right supplements—such as a targeted multivitamin with the active methyl form of folate; pure, high-quality fish oils; probiotics; adequate vitamin D and an absorbable form of iron—will support both mother and her growing baby.
Check with your obstetrician to confirm that your condition is suitable for your chosen treatment. The above complementary medicines are generally considered safe, but a particular course of treatment may not be right for you. Before choosing a health provider, research their background, education and experience.
Looking for health insurance? Want to better understand your current plan or healthcare options in Hong Kong? Contact our partner AD MediLink now at email@example.com or +852 2296 9773 for expert and unbiased advice. Their advisors areuniquely trained on the Hong Kong healthcare system to answer all your questions; on both the public and private sectors.
This article was independently written by Healthy Matters and not sponsored. It is informative only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.