Last updated on December 2, 2019.
Did you know that complementary medicines can help you manage common pregnancy ailments and discomfort such as back pain, morning sickness and heartburn? And that complementary medicines can also help moms-to-be improve their overall physical and emotional wellbeing? Learn about the benefits of chiropractic, osteopathy and naturopathy during pregnancy as we share exclusive excerpts from Healthy Matters’ The Hong Kong Maternity & Baby Book, the first ever comprehensive, independent guide to maternity in Hong Kong, from pre-pregnancy to baby’s first year.
Three ways chiropractic care can you help with during pregnancy
- By Dr. Kamilla Holst, Chiropractor, Drs B S Vaughan & Associates
- Eliminating aches and pains. Up to 70% of women experience back pain during pregnancy.
- Reducing labor time by up to 24% for first-time mothers and 39% for experienced mothers. Regular treatments of the spine and pelvis throughout pregnancy may contribute to a more straightforward labor, with less pain and trauma for mother and child.
- Helping to prevent breech presentation by ensuring the correct alignment of your pelvis and annular ligaments allowing optimum room for your baby to grow and move.
Three ways osteopathic care can you help with during pregnancy
- By Inès De Beer, Osteopath, The Round Clinic
- Helping to relieve back pain and pelvic instability. Postural changes can put the pelvis joints and spine under a lot of strain. Because of this, lower back pain is the most common complaint during pregnancy.
- Easing heartburn, breathing difficulties and rib pain. Structural changes during later stages of pregnancy expand the lower ribs and stretch the diaphragm muscle. Soft tissue techniques on the rib cage and diaphragm can ease the heartburn and breathing difficulties most women experience.
- Preparing for an easy birth. Osteopathic treatment helps ensure good structural mobility of the pelvic joints and lumbar spine. Through safe and gentle techniques, tensions in the joints and soft tissues are freed, paving the way for an optimal opening of the birth canal, maximizing the chance of a smooth and natural delivery.
How naturopathic care can help you during pregnancy
- Morning sickness
- Reflux and heartburn
- Urinary Tract Infections; candida and thrush
- Back pain
- Insomnia and fatigue
- Anxiety and depression
- Gestational diabetes