Chiropractic in Hong Kong has become more popular. A growing number of regnant women discover its benefits, too. In fact, this isn’t just about pregnancy health and mums’ recovery, it’s also about how newborns experience childbirth.
We sat down with Hong Kong chiropractor Dr. Kamilla Holst to talk about how chiropractic can help pregnant women and babies.
What are the benefits of chiropractic for pregnant women?
A lot of pregnant women experience lower back and pelvic pain. This can be due to a number of things including hormonal balance different weight distribution fatigue and poor posture as your body adapts to these changes. Chiropractic can help you avoid dysfunction in your body and make sure your body and nervous system are in alignment throughout your pregnancy.
The treatment of a mother’s, and later the baby’s, musculoskeletal system is very gentle in order to restore balance. Chiropractors use a special pregnancy pillow in order to get the weight of the lower back for a while and relaxing the belly, to ensure comfort during treatment.
Read more: Your complete guide to pregnancy in Hong Kong.
What are the benefits of chiropractic for babies?
The babies, Dr. Holst sees most often, present with symptoms such asincreased crying spells restlessness sleeping problems stomach ache/colic distortion of the skull having a favorite side to lie or breastfeed on and/or problems with breastfeeding.
Studies have shown that in the majority of cases birth trauma is unrecognized and comes as a reaction to a difficult birth, restricted uterus, breech presentation, vacuum extraction or excessive force. A cesarean can also affect a baby’s spine if pulled out aggressively, the baby’s neck can be strained. Chiropractors recommend having your baby checked if this may be the case. The spine doubles in size in the first year of living, so Dr. Holst recommends having your baby checked as soon as possible after giving birth.
Additionally, twins often have restricted room to move around, especially during the last trimester. These cramped quarters can cause strain on the baby’s spine.
10 ways chiropractic care can help babies:
- To encourage good brain and nerve development.
- To support “first-class” nerve communication throughout the body, promoting health and wellbeing.
- To help strengthen the baby’s immunity.
- To help resolve breastfeeding issues and colic.
- To reduce the detrimental impact our modern world has on our children’s health (environmental stressors).
- Supports digestive health.
- To diminish nerve interference which may impact your child’s capacity to learn and concentrate.(Works well on ADHD/ADD).
- To promote body balance – helping to resolve asthma, allergies and bed-wetting.
- To improve sleep issues.
- To improve spinal posture
Important: we know that the efficiency of chiropractic, especially chiropractic for babies, does not reach consensus. You can find at the end of this article the scientific references used by Dr. Kamilla Holst to back up the information mentioned.
Dr. Kamilla Holst is a Doctor of Chiropractic from Scandinavia, who specializes in providing treatment and support to pregnant women, new mums and their newborn babies. She is a regular speaker at the Healthy Matters’ Hong Kong’s Maternity / Kids Health & Parenting event, an Instagram influencer and contributor to maternity publications and podcasts. Author of woman empowerment book 'The Fear Bucket List' supporting women and children in Cambodia, Vietnam and Afghanistan.
- The Chiropractic Care of Infants with Breastfeeding Difficulties. Alcantara J et al. Explore (NY). (2015)
- The effect of chiropractic treatment on infantile colic: study protocol for a single-blind randomized controlled trial. Holm LV, Jarbøl DE, Christensen HW, Søndergaard J, Hestbæk L.
- Chiropr Man Therap. 2018 Jun 7;26:17. doi: 10.1186/s12998-018-0188-9. eCollection 2018.
- Book: Welladjusted Babies | www.welladjusted.co
- Gutman G. Blocked Atlantal Nerve Syndrome in Babies and Infants. Manuelle Medixin. 1987;25:5-10
- Fryman VM. Springall P. Effect of Osteopathic Medical Management on Neurological Development in Children. JAOA. 1992’92:792
- Efficacy of chiropractic manual therapy on infant colic: a pragmatic single-blind, randomized controlled trial. Miller JE, Newell D, Bolton JE. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012 Oct;35(8):600-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2012.09.010.
- Chiropractic management of breast-feeding difficulties: a case report. Holleman AC, Nee J, Knaap SF.J Chiropr Med. 2011 Sep;10(3):199-203. doi: 10.1016/j.jcm.2011.01.010. Epub 2011 Aug 9.
- Neurologic Findings in Infants With Deformational Plagiocephaly Elizabeth A. Fowler, Devra B. Becker, Thomas K. Pilgram, Michael Noetzel, Jay Epstein and Alex A. Kane. J Child Neurol 2008; 23; 742
- Miller RI,Sterling k, et al. Plagiocephaly and Learning Delay.Pediatrics. Vol 105. No 2 February 2000
- Fallon J. Chiropractic and Pregnancy : A Partnership for the Future. ICA Review. Nov/Dec 1990: 39-42
🔥 Exclusive offer: Save up to $8,000 now! 🔥
Looking for health insurance in Hong Kong? Alea is your best choice.
With Alea, finding the right health insurance is easy & pressure-free!
🔎 Free comparison on 25+ insurers
💰 Save time & money
💬 Unbiased advice
💯 Excellent service all year long
This article was independently written by Healthy Matters and is not sponsored. It is informative only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be relied upon for specific medical advice.